MMB – Wrapping Up 2017
The countdown is on and there is only one week left before Christmas! Yikes! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend and made holiday memories with your family and friends. Thanks to everyone, who made it out to classes this past week, and special apologies go out to the crew who came on Thursday night – you know who you are LOL! As I’ve been saying, this time of year is super tough to stay motivated and consistent with work outs, so if you are off pace and feeling a bit blue about it, set new goals for this week and carve out time today to start moving again. Even if it’s only 20 minutes of something, that’s better than 20 minutes of nothing! Be very mindful about what you are eating too. Over the years and especially at holiday time, I’ve noticed a correlation between an increase in sugar intake and the blues. The more sugar I eat, the more depressed I feel. So guess what goes out the window? Yup, the motivation to move – so the more sugar you eat, the less you move, the worse you feel, and so therefore, the more sugar you eat! Do you see how this spiral effect is so lethal and destructive? Trust me, you don’t want to walk into January feeling miserable about the way you look and feel. Pretend it’s January now and limit sugar intake, increase water and veggie intake, and move as much as you can!
Announcements and Reminders:
- Cardio Core is Tuesday at Jen’s Studio. Classes are mostly full. I currently have 1 spot open at 7:35pm. Please e-mail or text me if you would like to sign up.
- December Class Card Specials! For the month of December, any class card you purchase for yourself will be 10% off. If you want to purchase a class card as a gift for someone else who is new to Jen Allan Fitness, then I’m offering a 20% discount! This is a great opportunity to reach out to a friend or loved one who may need a little encouragement to get started in a fitness program. Buy your friend a gift card and offer to pick them up and take them to class! We have such a welcoming and positive group of people, I know they will be inspired and touched by your generosity. NOTE: If you have purchased a card in the past few days, I’m happy to honor the discount the next time you purchase a card.
- December Contest – Christmas Temptations Conquered! Like I’ve been saying, there is temptation all around us this month and I know you guys have worked so hard in your work outs, clean eating, and being focused and disciplined on wellness. So, as a little incentive for this month, every time you walk away from a sweet treat or say no to a Mocha Frappaccino, record it in your phone. When you come to class, I’ll have a little box with note cards and you can jot down the moment that you conquered temptation. At the end of December, I’ll have a drawing for a free class card! Let’s conquer those sugar cravings together and feel great walking into January!
- Christmas Boot Camp and Brunch is this Saturday, December 23rd. There will be 1 boot camp only from 7am to 8am. Stay afterwards for a special Mama Jen’s brunch. That’s right, you must work hard to earn your breakfast! LOL! Bring your kids too! Please let me know if you’ll be making it out and how many are coming with you so I can plan accordingly.
- There will be NO Classed on 12/26 & 12/28. Boot Camp resumes 12/30.
- New Year’s Day Running Boot Camp! What better way to kick off the holiday than with a Running Boot Camp! Class will be at 11am. For beginners and intermediates. Cost is a one hour prepaid card or $15 for drop-in.
- Cardio Fusion Class Time Changes – Many of you know that I’m evaluating my business and classes right now and taking a closer look to see how I can best serve you. I am strongly considering changing Thursday’s Cardio Fusion classes to the same time slots as Tuesday night classes, which means the 60 minute class would be between 5:45pm to 6:45pm and the 30 minute class would be 6:55pm to 7:25pm. I would love to hear from all of you, who attend these classes on a regular basis, what your thoughts are about moving the class times up by 30 minutes. If this works better for most people, I will be implementing this change on January 4th. Thursday classes will remain at VBC for now.
- Special New Class Offering! Nutrition Happenings and Samplings! – January is a great time to detox from all of the holiday sugar and reset your gut. So, to kick off the New Year, I’ll be hosting a nutrition class in my home that will take you on a journey of nutritional delights beginning with breakfast and ending with dinner. In my kitchen, you’ll be tasting a variety of delicious food samples that are plant based and you’ll walk away with a better understanding of how to combine heart healthy fats, proteins, and carbohydrates into your meal planning for you and your family. This 90-minute class will be offered on January 7th from 1pm to 2:30pm at my home. Cost is $35. A minimum of 6 people is required with a maximum of 10 people. Please contact me if you’d like to sign up! I’m excited to cook for you and share some of my favorite recipes and healthy nutrition tips that will energize you for the New Year! Do I look excited!? Yes, I am!
- January’s Fit For Change Challenge is coming on Saturday, January 13th! Mark your calendars now for the beginning of another 6 week challenge that will motivate and inspire you! More details to come!
Thought for the week: Wrapping up 2017
Someone once said, “Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!” Oh goodness, how true right? I think this is especially the case for those of us who have kids and are in the midst of child rearing. It’s hard to believe, but 2017 is almost a goner! I would love for you to take a few minutes and ponder about the year. What were the highs? The lows? Your greatest successes and the areas you are still struggling with? Looking forward, it’s hard to know where you are headed if you don’t look back and see where you’ve come from. Picture someone trying to climb a gargantuan mountain like Mt. Everest. They start their journey at the bottom of the first base camp and look up at this behemoth of a mountain and begin to think that perhaps they are slightly crazy for wanting to risk their life to climb Everest! Fast forward a few weeks later and they are half way up the mountain and can begin to see the summit and now begin to believe that they can actually conquer the climb. How do they know they are half way? They must look back to see how far they’ve come. We might not have our sights set on climbing Mt. Everest, but the principle still applies for every day life. Check out some of these Mt. Everest images and quotes:
When we are in the middle of a pursuing a goal and are really struggling and wanting to quit, we must reflect on how far we’ve come so that we can see that we HAVE made progress. What a shame it would be if we quit in the middle?! Let’s say you have 50 pounds to lose and you’ve lost 10 over the course of 4 months. If you only reflect on the fact that you still have 40 more pounds to lose, you’ll feel overwhelmed and will want to quit because you know it takes hard work every day. But, if you celebrate the victory of losing 10 pounds and that your pants feel looser, you’ll have the moment to continue on because you looked back on where you started from.
You see, it’s all in perspective. It’s the old adage of, “Is the glass half full or empty?” So, as you begin to reflect on 2017 and look carefully at your high and low points, remember to reflect on the beginning of your journey so you can see how far you’ve come. Yes, the glass is half full! Is there more work to do? Of course there is! That’s true for all of us. We are ALL a work in progress and I thank God for this. After all, if there was nothing left to improve or work towards, I would suggest we are dead – Agree? LOL!
In regard to your health and wellness goals, this is a great time to check in and see how you are feeling. How’s your energy? Attitude? Do you like what you see in the mirror? How is your gut health? Sleep? Water intake? Veggie intake? Ponder on how you want to look and feel and ask yourself what needs to change in order for you to get there? This is a great time to reach to a friend or someone in the fitness community and share your goals. This health stuff is really tough to do on your own! Don’t be a lone ranger. Reach out and connect with other people who have like minded goals so that you can keep each other accountable. Everyone needs to be encouraged and I’m so thankful that the Jen Allan fitness community is so welcoming and positive. Let’s keep doing more of the same in 2018 as we press on towards living our optimal health and most vibrant life possible!
See you in class soon!