MMB – What to eat in spring?
Good morning everyone,
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and had the chance to get out and move! Excellent job to everyone who made it out to classes this past week. Let’s keep up the momentum and commitment to eating clean and working out with purpose. Have I mentioned that summer time bodies are made in March? LOL!
Now that spring is in the air, it’s easier to get those running shoes on and enjoy the lighter days and warmer temperatures. There was a handful of you who made it out to Running Boot Camp yesterday and we all experienced something new together……running in the hail! Did you know that hail stings as it hits your face?! Thankfully, my garage was close by so we finished out Boot Camp with Med Ball throws and whole body resistance circuit drills. There are many ways to skin a fitness cat!
Announcements and Reminders:
- Liquid Green = Liquid Life March Contest: Since St. Patrick’s Day is in March, I thought we’d celebrate Irish green with a contest to down as many liquid greens as you can! Log all of your 8oz servings of green juices or smoothies and let’s see who can consume the most in a month. The winner will receive a $60 class card! P.S. The Odwalla super food smoothies do not count. Anything with 38 grams of sugar is a candy bar. Agree?
- St. Patrick’s Day Boot Camp is Saturday, March 18th. Wear your most festive St. Patty’s Day costume and win a prize! Don’t worry, you can take some of your costume off during boot camp so you can move 🙂 Let’s find out who is the most festive. We’ll all be Irish on the 18th! Perhaps there will be a Leprechaun?
- Next Running Boot Camp is Sunday, March 19th at 11am – Jen’s house
- Note: No Boot Camps on 3/25 or 4/22. My fitness convention is on the 25th and I can’t wait to bring back new stuff and share with you guys what’s going on in the fitness industry!
- Spring Fitness Challenge begins on April 1st! Stay tuned for more details!
Thought for the week: What to eat in spring?
With the trees blossoming and days becoming brighter, we know that spring is almost here. Can you feel your attitude changing? An increase in your energy? Spring is a time of rebirth and new awakenings. It’s a time to dust things off and feel energized and lighter. Maybe you’ve been in a hibernation state and have put on a few pounds? Now is the time to get outside and start moving more. Does your yard need some TLC? Great! Put on your grubby clothes and get out there and pull some weeds. Did you know gardening is a fabulous work out? It’s true! Think about pulling weeds for a second. You are squatting down and yanking out weeds that are rooted in the dirt. This is a fabulous exercise that basically has you rowing in a squat position, so it’s a great shoulder and upper back work out while you take care of your yard. Isn’t that great!?
So, now that you are moving more outside with increased running, hiking, and gardening, what should you be eating? Hmm, I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I’ll say it again, veggies! This is the time of year when all of those tender greens and veggies and super delicious to eat such as baby spring lettuces, kale, asparagus, peas, etc.
The Liquid Green=Liquid Life Contest is going on now through the end of March, so this is the time to be increasing your liquid greens to detox your body, especially the colon and liver. Make sure your juices and smoothies are heavy on the greens and light on the fruit. Lemons are excellent to add to your juices because they help to balance out your PH and increase alkalinity.
I found a good article by a nutritionist on the foods we should be eating during the spring and I wanted to pass it on to you guys. These are all good reminders and as people, we need health and nutrition reminders often, agree? I know I do!
See you in class soon!
Spring is a time when everything lightens up. Our resident Nutritionist, Janella Purcell, tells you what you should be eating and what you should avoid.According to the Ancient Calendar Spring is the beginning of another cycle. It’s considered the first season of the year so brings with it a sense of renewal and creativity. It’s about birth, youth and inspiration and its energy is rapid and upwards.
Trackback from your site.