MMB – Nutrition & Fitness Challenge is Coming!
I hope you are all doing well and have been moving and eating clean! I know it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve written a blog, so thanks for your patience! Our internet was down all last week, but thankfully we had a technician come out on Saturday and fixed everything for us – yeah!
So, how’s the routine coming along? I know there are quite a few of you, who have been traveling or have had some job changes, so I hope you are still able to carve out time for your work outs and self care! Fall can be an interesting time of transition as new school and sports schedules are created and there is an adjustment period that can seem a little overwhelming and stressful at times. Do you know the best way to handle stress? Yup, work out hard with friends!
If you haven’t had the chance to make it to class in the past few weeks, I’d love to hear from you! Let me know how I can be a support and encourage you. For those of you who have been coming out on a regular basis, I love seeing your commitment and progress as you increase your strength and endurance. This stuff really does work! It just takes doing it with commitment and consistency 🙂
A note about class length – Have you been coming to my 30 minute classes for sometime and are feeling like you may want more, but the idea of a 60 minute class is daunting? If so, I want to encourage you to come to my 60 minute class and try pushing yourself to do 45 minutes. Just let me know at the beginning of class that you want to try 45 minutes and I’ll let you know when we’ve reached 45 minutes. You can begin your cool down and stretching at that point. Do this for a few weeks until you feel like you can go the distance with the 60 minute class. Sound good?
Announcements and Reminders:
- Cardio Core at Jen’s Studio Tuesday! If you’d like to sign up for classes on Tuesday, please text or e-mail me. Classes are 60 min 5:45pm to 6:45pm, 30 min 6:55pm to 7:25pm, and 30 min 7:35pm to 8:05pm.
- Cardio Fusion – Normal class time on Thursday 5:45pm to 6:45pm & 6:55pm to 7:25pm
- Special Boot Camp Friday, September 21st at 8am at Jen’s Studio!
- NO Boot Camp on Saturday, September 22nd! I’ll be away for the weekend camping with the Boy Scouts at Lava Tubes in Lassen. If you’d like to have Boot Camp, I’m planning a special Boot Camp on Friday from 8am to 9am at my home. You are welcome to come for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, or the entire 60 minutes! Please let me know if you’d like to attend.
- 6-Week Fall Fitness and Nutrition Challenge begins on September 29th! It’s that time of year again! Let’s kick off the fall season with a good Challenge that will motivate and inspire you to push a little harder, eat clean, and learn more about nutrition. Let’s shake things up and lose a couple of inches as we head into the fall. After all, you want to feel good in those jeans right?
- September Nutrition Knowledge Contest – You still have a couple of weeks remaining to learn those nutrition facts! Research the six nutrients: water, carbs, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Learn something, write it down, and enter the drawing for your chance to win a class card.
Thought for the week: Why Should We Do a Challenge?
O.k. so what’s the point in doing these Challenges every year? As humans, we are creatures of habit and we like our routines because they are comfortable. This is especially true when it comes to fitness. Have you ever noticed that when you do the same fitness routine for a while that it becomes easier and you aren’t having to labor as much?
If you aren’t paying close attention, that same routine with the same reps and intensity will not be as effective as it was months ago. Our bodies are pretty amazing in how they can adapt to change and stabilize within a fairly short amount of time. You can recognize if your work out has become too redundant if your heart rate is not increasing as much or the same weights that you were lifting aren’t making you break a sweat or labor with difficulty. This is because your body is not requiring your heart to work as hard to get the oxygen and blood flow needed to the rest of the body to perform the exercises required.
So what’s the point? What’s wrong with routine? Well, there isn’t anything wrong with routine, up to a certain point. In fitness, we call this periodization training which is defined as: “Periodization is a form of resistance training that may be defined as strategic implementation of specific training phases. These training phases are based upon increasing and decreasing both volume (which is reps times sets) and intensity (which is the load or percentage of 1RM) when designing a training program.”
So, if we aren’t tweaking the above mentioned formula every few weeks, we aren’t working as effectively and efficiently as we should. And this friends, is why we need Challenges! Challenges are intended to be about six weeks long, where you are pushed harder mentally and physically. The idea behind them is to break up patterns and tax your energy systems greater so that your body will have a reset in giving you a boost in your metabolism, fat burn, and caloric expenditure.
This all sounds good to me! So, let’s invite some friends and come out on Saturday, September 29th to get weighed and measured. Let’s shake things up in our fitness and have some fun learning about nutrition and working it hard so we can feel and look amazing heading into fall!
See you soon!