MMB – May Happenings and Changes
I hope you all had a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend! For those of you who are mama’s out there, I hope you felt blessed and celebrated by your family and had the opportunity to do some fun things together! Life is precious and every moment with our families is one more moment and day we’ll never get back again. Let’s make every opportunity count and live life like we mean it! 🙂
Announcements and Reminders:
- Cardio Core is Tonight at Jen’s Studio (NOT TUESDAY) I have space available in two classes tonight: 5:45pm to 6:45pm & 6:55pm to 7:25pm. Please e-mail or text me if you’d like to join in! There is one more Monday night Cardio Core on 5/20, then back to normal Tuesday schedule on 5/28.
- Cardio Fusion is Thursday night at VBC – 5:45pm to 6:45pm. 6:55pm to 7:25pm ( minimum three people required for 30 minute class)
- Last Spring Fitness Challenge is this Saturday! Let’s make it count this week and laser focus on clean eating, good hydration, and awesome work outs! If you weighed in for the Challenge at the beginning, come this Saturday to weigh in and be measured again. Please plan on coming a little earlier or staying a little later to get measured. Let’s find out who the biggest reducers are!
- May Goals Contest – For this month, I want to challenge you to try something new in the realm of fitness and nutrition. We are all creatures of habit and can get stuck in a rut and keep doing the same things over and over again. I want you to think of something that you’ve always wanted to try or have been curious about and make it happen this month! I’ll have a Goals box for you to write down a goal that you have had and COMPLETED! I’d also like a few sentences about why you chose your goal and what it was like for you to complete your goal. The winner will receive either 2 personal training sessions with me for 30 minutes or an $80 class card. Need some ideas?
- Here are a few ideas:
- Hike a new location and/or try hiking for a longer period of time with more challenging terrain. Think of Pinnacles National Park or Mt. Diablo?
- Try a water sport like paddle boarding, kayaking, or canoeing. How about a white water river rafting trip?
- Try mountain biking – look for beginner course if you are new
- Commit to a walking club with friends once a week.
- Try a vegetarian restaurant or try doing green juice detox for 3 days
- Try living off homemade food for an entire week without going out.
- Here are a few ideas:
- Kid Fit or Moms’ Fit Club for Summer? If you are interested in a Kid Fit or Moms’ Fit Club program for your kids this summer, please reach out to me and let me know. Historically, I have offered Kid Fit and Moms’ Fit Club on Monday mornings, but I am choosing to free up Mondays for my own kids so that we can have free time to enjoy summer with more hiking, beach trips, play dates etc. I love, love, love training, but I need to make sure and create balance for my own family’s needs too. So, I am contemplating offering a Kid Fit and/or Moms’ Fit Club program on a different day of the week and was thinking about doing it on a Wednesday or Friday morning around 9:30am? I am here to serve you guys and summer is such a wonderful time to get outside and move our bodies! Let’s get our kids moving too!
- Survey Monkey: When you have a few minutes, please take my survey to give me feedback on my group exercise classes. It should take 1-2 minutes. Thank you so much to everyone who has already completed the survey.
- Class Format Trial Change for Summer! For June and July, I am switching up my class formats to 45 minutes. Please read more on blog below. New cost structure for June and July:
- 4 class card – $50
- 8 class card – $95
- 12 class card -$135
You can still use your current class cards for new class times. For clients with 60 minute cards, you’ll receive 1 or 2 free additional classes to compensate for difference in time.
Class schedule will change to 5:45pm to 6:30pm, 6:40pm to 7:25pm, and 7:35pm to 8:20pm. 3rd class is by demand.
- Jen’s 10th Year in Business Celebration BBQ – Mark your calendars for Saturday, July 20th to come and celebrate another year of business with me at my home! It’s also a special year because it’s my 10th year of business! Woo hoo! BBQ is from 4pm to 9pm. More details to come.
Thought of the week: Change is good and needed from time to time.
A good friend of mine gave me an amazing gift a few weeks ago for my birthday. What did she give me? Well, the rock star that my friend is, gave me a one-hour consultation with my mentor Mindy Mylrea! Most of you have probably not heard of Mindy, but anyone in the fitness industry knows her name and has been touched by her in some way. So, needless to say, it was an amazing gift that my friend gave me and I am forever grateful. You know who you are friend! Love ya!
So, you know those awesome gliding discs we use in class all the time? Yup, that’s Mindy and she created those! Mindy has been a huge influence on my life and in my business for ten years and she’s someone who has huge passion for spreading the word of health, wellness, nutrition, and fitness to combat and fight disease! Here is her site and blog if you are curious about her. http://www.bruceandmindy.com/
Her husband Bruce has been fighting prostrate cancer for the last few years and has basically put his body in remission by eating a totally plant based diet. You can read more about their story and mission on their site. They also have amazing videos and free recipes that are nutrient dense and plant based. If you have a few minutes, it’s totally worth checking out their site.
Back to the phone call. Mindy evaluated my business and had many kind things to say, but some great suggestions too. I have nothing to hide here guys and would love to be open and transparent about some of the recommendations she had for my business.
As you know, I’ve been very flexible with my 60-minute class formats and have allowed clients to weave in for the first 30 minutes, or come the 2nd half of class for 30-minutes. I know this has been convenient for timing, but ultimately, you are only receiving half of the intended experience I had planned for you that evening. As you know, my classes always have a specific warm-up, strength portion, core portion, cardio burst portion, and proper cool down. If you come half way through, then you’ve missed some important element of what I have designed for you during that class. So really, it’s not fair to you that you are only getting a “half” Jen experience. Does that make sense?
The other aspect is the break in flow of the class. Admittedly, it can be disrupting at the half way mark when some people leave and some people join. Sometimes, it can be a little chaotic trying to reorganize partner drills because the numbers in the room change or different decisions need to be made to accommodate new people joining in.
So, what is ideal? The most ideal scenario is that clients start and end together for the entire class. In this way, everyone is experiencing the same class format, experience, and proper warm-ups and cool downs. For those of you who are used to 60-minutes, you now have the opportunity to rise up and challenge yourself to work harder in 45 minutes. For those of you who are used to 30-minutes, you will be challenged to work on your endurance and work towards keeping up in a longer class. Within a few weeks, you can do it!
I think you’ll find that 45 minutes is also a doable and effective amount of time. If you are ever in a situation where you need to leave early, that’s totally understandable and you are welcome to step out and do your stretches off to the side.
I’m here for you guys. My heart is in this business because I want to be your advocate for health and wellness so that you can feel better and healthier right now! It is my goal to be s source of inspiration and encouragement for you as you challenge yourself to continue to grow in your fitness goals and clean eating. I know these things are hard to accomplish, which is why community is so important. It’s a tough and lonely road to go alone. The good news is that you don’t have to! Let’s continue to rise up and challenge ourselves personally and also collectively as a group so that when we gather together, we are unified with one vision and goal – to live our best life now!
For the June and July, I’ll be switching to all classes being 45 minutes. At the end of summer, let’s see what you guys think. I’ll be doing another survey and will check in to see what you think about the class format change.
I appreciate you all immensely!