MMB – March Liquid Greens Winner
Good morning everyone,
I hope you had a fantastic weekend and enjoyed the beautiful warm weather! Excellent effort by everyone who was able to make it out to classes this past week. I know this time of year can be particularly busy with sports activities, school commitments, year end school planning, and now spring break! Remember, moving is who we are and what we do, so no matter what your week looks like or what activities you are engaged in, find ways to move around what you are doing. A hint – it helps if you wear your fitness clothes so you are always ready for a spontaneous sweat session! LOL!
Announcements and Reminders:
- Spring Fitness Challenge has begun! If you did not have the chance to weigh in for the Challenge on Saturday and would like to participate, I will bring my scale, measuring tape, and body fat tester on Tuesday and Thursday during classes. I realize that this is spring break, so hopefully this will give you a couple of other opportunities to get weighed in for the Challenge. Remember, now is the time to be mindful and purposeful about what you put in your body. If you are trying to lose weight, it’s all about portion control and eating the right combinations of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. If you think, “eat like a squirrel,” you are on the right track! Heavy on the veggies, low glycemic fruits, nuts, seeds, salads, green juices, and smart carbs and whole grains. Think….nutrient dense foods that come from the ground, plant or animal, not processed foods that come from a package with added salt, sugar, preservatives, and msg. Let’s find out who the biggest reducers are over the next several weeks!
- Next Running Boot Camps are: Sunday, April 9th at 11am & Sunday, April 30th at 11am
- Reminder: No Saturday Boot Camp on 4/22 or 5/13
- Winner of March Liquid Greens = Liquid Life is Christi Stevenson! Please read her story below. Congratulations Christi! Keep up the great work!
- In a pinch quick work out plan – see below
Thought for the week: Christi Stevenson is a fighter and survivor
One of the many joys I have as your trainer is to be constantly inspired and motivated by the amazing people you all are. Every person has a story to tell and has gone through challenging life events that have shaped them into the person they are today. Some of us are going through hard times right now and undoubtedly, we all will have challenges awaiting for us down the road. How we respond under pressure and difficult circumstances is what defines our character and shapes our walk. Are we going to crumble and collapse into a pit of despair or are we going to rise up and face our challenges head on with confidence and tenacity?
Keeping these things in mind, this is why I wanted to share Christi’s story with you this morning. I have had the privilege of knowing Christi for the last six years as she has been my educational specialist through my homeschool charter school. She has been an amazing mentor and friend to me throughout this homes chool and now, fitness and health journey!
Christi is a two time cancer survivor and has relied on her faith in God to guide her through the pain and difficulties of undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. She is now cancer free and tries her best to live every day in the moment not taking any of it for granted. I asked Christi to share some of her thoughts about her journey and I hope you are inspired by her words:
From Christi Stevenson:
“I have been motivated by Jen on my own healthy journey to drink greens. Twenty years ago, one week after having my second child, I found a lump in my neck and then found out I had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. After treatment, life continued and I became busy with four children, homeschooling and serious personal stress. During this time I was not proactive maintaining my health. I seemed to choose convenience and cost over healthy choices. Then, four years ago, I received the awful news that I had cancer again. Both times I underwent medical treatment; chemotherapy and radiation. After my most recent treatment, I felt weak and knew I needed to rebuild my body through a healthy diet and exercise. Two “Jen-isms” which have impacted me are, “If it doesn’t challenge you it will not change you,” and “Exercise is a way of kicking disease in the teeth.” I agree that I have to purpose and plan to make good choices and be physically active. So, I have set a goal to drink greens but sometimes life is busy. But, I am learning to make good choices even on the run. I’ve found that Starbucks and Safeway sells green drinks. Life is a gift from God and I purpose daily to take care of my body: spiritually and physically. I have tried to not have a common mentality, I’ll just take this the easier way. It is not convenient to eat healthy; working full time, having kids in competitive sports, etc. Encouraged by Jen and the idea of the contest, I purposefully drank more greens. It’s helping me stay healthy, since food is medicine. Green drinks are satisfying, low calorie and nutrient dense so I am drinking them more often.”
In a pinch quick work out plan:
If you are in a situation where you want to exercise, but don’t want to go hard core and work up a huge sweat, here is a work out plan that you can do anywhere that will work your core and all of your large and small muscle groups.
If you only have about 20 minutes, then only do one set. If you have 35-40 minutes, you can repeat the sets as listed.
- Start with dynamic stretches for 3-5 minutes.
- Do 20 squats followed with a 30 sec. plank. Repeat.
- Do walking lunges for 45 sec or alternate lunges in place. Follow with a chair pose for 30 sec. Repeat
- Do 20 sumo squats followed with a 30 sec. side plank, both left and right. Repeat.
- Do 20 lateral lunges, alternating left and right. Follow with a superman hold on the floor 30 sec. Repeat
- Do 20 reverse lunges alternating followed with a 30 sec. floor bridge. Repeat.
- Do a 30 sec. single leg balance hold with outside leg abducted. Do both left and right.
- Do a single leg balance warrior, can add squatting stork element with squatting up and down on single leg. 30 sec. Left and Right.
- Stretch and cool down. Calves, hamstrings, quads, back, shoulders etc.
See you in class this week!
Trackback from your site.