MMB – It’s a Good Idea to Detox Now
Good morning everyone!
I hope you had a great weekend and were able to get outside and enjoy the beautiful sunshine! Great job to everyone who was able to make it out to classes this past week! Let’s keep the momentum going as we head into the holidays!
Announcements and Reminders:
1) Cardio Core is at Jen’s Studio this Tuesday! Classes are 5:45pm to 6:30pm, 6:40pm to 7:25pm & 7:35pm to 8:20pm. Please e-mail or text which class you’d like to sign up for. I can accommodate a maximum of six people per class, so sign-ups this time of year are really important. If you are signed up for class and have to cancel last minute, I will need to charge a class on your pre-paid card. Thanks for your understanding on this 🙂
2) Park Fitness Thursday at 8:30am! Come out and join us for a 45 minute class field trip to the park. All levels are welcomed. Bring a friend and shake things up mid-week! Please let me know if you’d like to join in! Drop in cost is $15.
3) Cardio Fusion is at VBC this Thursday! Class times are 5:45pm to 6:30pm & 6:40pm to 7:25pm. I need three people to run a class, or I may combine classes and offer one time, depending on what works best for everyone.
4)Thankfulness Boot Camp is this Sat. Nov. 16th at 7:30am! Let’s enjoy a special boot camp format that celebrates our blessings and Thanksgiving! There might be some corny jokes thrown in there too! Please note that I will not be doing Thanksgiving Boot Camp on Thanksgiving this year because I will be on vacation.
5) Jen will be away on vacation from Friday, November 22nd through Friday, November 29th, so there will be NO personal training or classes. There will be a Thanksgiving work out Challenge and homework for you to do if you choose! I’ll post it on my blog and e-mail it out to everyone.
6) Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan’s Purse! VBC is the collection center for the Tri-Valley. Want to have an amazing experience with your kids this Christmas? Awesome! Then head out to the store with your kids, along with a list of things to pack a shoebox with and go shopping to bless a child! I have labels for you to use along with instructions. Cost is $9 to cover shipping. I highly encourage you to join in this big hearted event that will bless someone tremendously. Giving is WAY better than receiving and it will show God’s love 🙂 Boxes are due in a couple of weeks.
7) Christmas Boot Camp and Brunch is coming! I would like to host my annual boot camp and brunch in December and would like to know which date would work better for everyone: Dec 13 or Dec 20? Please respond or tell me when you see me so I can plan with the church in securing a room. This is my chance to cook up some of Mama Jen’s brunch items and treat you guys as a way to say thank you and Merry Christmas! Brunch would be directly after boot camp and usually lasts up to about an hour.
Thought for the week: It’s a Good Idea to Detox Now
With the onslaught of the holidays about to hit land, now would be an excellent time to do a detox. Let’s face it – the holidays = stress. And stress = inflammation, and inflammation = free radicals and a step closer to disease. Well, that all sounds horrible! Thankfully, our bodies have these amazing organs, such as our liver, kidneys, and skin, that help us to eliminate toxins. However, just like we take our cars in for tune-ups every six months to a year, our bodies could benefit from a detox program once or twice a year.
Because the holidays are loaded with an extra helping of everything: salt, sugar, fats, alcohol, portions etc, do your body a favor and have a check in by eliminating these foods now so you can feel your best heading into the holidays. You might be wondering what are some simple things that you can do to start a detox program? While there are a ton of programs out there and no shortage of opportunities to spend a lot of money, know that there are basic things you can do at home at a fraction of the cost.
I have attached an article from Gaiam that lists symptoms to look for indicating a detox would be beneficial and ideas for you to to try at home. Most of the the proposed ideas involve some sort of liquid diet and allowing your digestion system to have a break. This is also a time to refrain from coffee, alcohol, sugars, refined carbs, and being mindful of chemicals you may be exposed to, such as cleaning supplies.
A detox doesn’t need to be long – even three days would be very beneficial. Check out some of these ideas and see what would work for you. If you don’t have time to make your own green juice, there are plenty of grab n go cold press green juices out there. Trader Joe’s has one for $5 that is organic and pure. It only has 4 grams of sugar as opposed to some of them with up to 15 to 20 grams of sugar. Basically, it becomes green candy at that point.
So, do you body a favor and try a detox method now before the craziness of the holidays hits us hard!
10 Ways to Detoxify Your Body
by: Deborahann Smith
Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems — detoxification is about resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health through a range of methods including yoga, meditation and more.
How does detoxification work?
Basically, detoxification means cleansing the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. However, when these systems are compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and the body is adversely affected.
A detox program can help the body’s natural cleansing process by:
- Resting the organs through fasting;
- Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
- Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys, and skin;
- Improving circulation of the blood; and
- Refueling the body with healthy nutrients.
“Detoxification works because it addresses the needs of individual cells, the smallest units of human life,” says Peter Bennett, N.D., co-author of 7-Day Detox Miracle with Stephen Barrie, N.D., and Sara Faye.
How do you know if you need to detoxify?
Bennett suggests that everyone should detox at least once a year. However, Bennett cautions against detoxing for nursing mothers, children, and patients with chronic degenerative diseases, cancer or tuberculosis. Consult your healthcare practitioner if you have questions about whether detoxing is right for you.
Today, with more toxins in the environment than ever, “it’s critical to detox,” says Linda Page, N.D., Ph.D., the author of Detoxification: Programs to Cleanse, Purify and Renew. Page recommends detoxing for symptoms such as:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infection
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
How do you start a detox?
First, lighten up your toxin load. Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars, and saturated fats, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to your healing process. Also, minimize use of chemical-based household cleaners and personal health care products (cleansers, shampoos, deodorants, and toothpastes), and substitute natural alternatives.
Another hindrance to good health is stress, which triggers your body to release stress hormones into your system. While these hormones can provide the “adrenaline rush” to win a race or meet a deadline, in large amounts they create toxins and slow down detoxification enzymes in the liver. Yoga, Qigong and meditation are simple and effective ways to relieve stress by resetting your physical and mental reactions to the inevitable stress life will bring. Gaiam carries yoga mats, props and accessories for beginner yogis to advanced practitioners and a meditation seating to help you relieve stress.
Which detox program is right for you?
There are many detoxification programs and detox recipes, depending on your individual needs. Many programs follow a seven-day schedule because, as Bennett explains, “it takes the body time to clean the blood.” His program involves fasting on liquids for two days, followed by a carefully planned five-day detox diet to allow the digestive system to rest. Page recommends a three- to seven-day juice fast (drinking only fresh fruit and vegetable juices and water) as an effective way to release toxins.
Here are our five favorite detox diets:
- Simple Fruit and Veggie Detox
- Smoothie Cleanse
- Juice Cleanse
- Sugar Detox
- Hypoallergenic Detox
Top 10 ways to help your body detoxify
After a detoxification program, you can cleanse your body daily with these diet supplements and lifestyle practices:
- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock, and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
- Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least two quarts of water a day, made easy by bringing our 32 oz. Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle with you everywhere you go!
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate waste through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
- What’s the most important way to detoxify? “Exercise,” says Bennett. “Yoga or jump-roping are good. One hour every day.” Also try Qigong, a martial arts based exercise system that includes exercises specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, as well as many other exercises with specific health benefits.
Consult your doctor before using any health treatment, including herbal supplements and natural remedies, and tell your doctor if you have a serious medical condition or are taking any medications. The information presented here is for educational purposes only and is in no way intended as substitute for medical counseling.