MMB – Fall Flavors can be lethal
Happy October to you! How are you all doing this fine Monday morning? Did you all have the chance to move and get outside over the weekend? Those of you who were able to make it out to Boot Camp worked it hard and did really well in your fitness tests for the Challenge! I can tell you guys are taking this seriously by the marvelous sounds of grunts and groans, quivering muscles with the last rep, and a lovely shade of red across your face as you are giving it all you’ve got!
Is it hard? Yes. Are you worth it? Yes! 3-5 days a week you guys should be working it hard with sweat dripping off your face and feeling the burn of hard effort in resistance training for the entire body. If you are putting this type of effort in and are being a good boy or girl in your nutrition with smaller portions and avoiding processed foods with refined flours and sugars, I promise transformation is around the corner for you! Keep up the good work guys! I’m proud of you!
Reminders and Announcements:
- Running Boot Camp is this Sunday, October 9th at 7am. Come join us for a 5k running distance with a combination of strength and core work. If you are a beginner at running, this is the perfect place for you to plug in! We only run for three minutes at a time, and there is room for you to do a fast walk/jog/run combo. If you consider yourself a slow runner and are worried about holding back the group, please don’t fret because this class is designed to help you gain stamina and endurance as you train your body how to run. If you’d like to join us on Sunday, please let me know in advance! Class is about an hour long.
- Fall Fitness Challenge – now through October 22nd. If you haven’t had the chance to make it out on a Saturday, it’s totally fine to drop in and plug into the Challenge format! You’ll be dripping with sweat and will burn up a few hundred calories and shed some fat! Sounds good to me, so come and join in the fun!
- Halloween “Boo” Camp! Saturday, October 29th.
Boot Camp and dress up?! Yes! Come to Boot Camp wearing your favorite Halloween costume and there will be a costume contest at the end! Obviously, you need to to choose something you can still move in, but be clever and see what you can come up with! Nothing too evil please 🙂 I’ll have special Halloween themed games and drills, so you won’t want to miss this special Boot Camp! It’s a great time to bring a friend and introduce them to the Jen Allan Fitness crew!
Also, Valley Bible Church collects canned foods for those families in need. For every canned food item you bring on this Saturday, you’ll get a raffle ticket and will go into a drawing for a special gift card!
Thought for the week: Fall flavors can be lethal!
Oh, I love this time of year! The intoxicating whiffs of pumpkin muffins, gooey cinnamon rolls, and nutmeg laden Pumpkin Lattes are around every corner! For a foodie girl, which I am and know many of you are too, it can be a very tempting and lethal time of year to not pack on extra pounds!
I was chatting with one of my clients the other day and she was telling me that her coworkers at the office celebrated the first day of fall by bringing in Pumpkin pies, Pumpkin pastries, and doughnuts. Uggh! Temptation is all around us! I know it’s very difficult working in a corporate office because people are super stressed out and they try to alleviate their stress by snacking on candies, cookies, and seasonal treats throughout the day. Am I right? Once upon a time I worked in a corporate office and I remember what it was like to be around those goodies all of the time. Sadly, I didn’t have will power back then and indulged like everyone else at the time. I looked the part too! It takes strong will power to refuse, but it can be done!
So, how can we celebrate the fall without packing on all of those extra pounds? I highly encourage you to make special treats at home where you can control the ingredients. Here are some tips to keep in mind for this time of year:
- Coffee Shops – Below is the nutritional information for a 16oz Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Check it out. Uggh. It’s a powerhouse fat and sugar bomb laden with caffeine! So, when you go into a Peets or Starbucks, order a regular black coffee and add in your own low fat milk along with a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg on top. Add in 1 packet of sugar or a small squirt of honey and you’ll still have a treat without all of the extra empty calories. When I’m craving a Caffe Mocha, I’ll order a small black coffee and will add 1 packet of sugar and a sprinkling of cocoa powder on top. It does the trick 🙂
- Nutrition Facts – Starbucks – Pumpkin Spice Latte
Starbucks – Starbucks – Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Servings: 1 16 oz
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily va
- Canned Organic Pumpkin – I load up on cans of canned pumpkin this time of year and use them all of the time in a variety of different ways. For my Mama Jen’s morning muffins, I’ll add one can of pumpkin to the recipe and voila, I have a totally different experience of an autumn morning muffin! Add 1/2 a cup of pumpkin to your Greek yogurt along with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Add canned pumpkin to your lentil soups and experiment with adding in different spices like cumin, curry, and cinnamon.
- Bakes apples with cinnamon. Try carving out a small hole in a whole apple and fill with a little bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes and you’ll have a wonderful fall treat that won’t break the calorie bank!
- Apple pie oatmeal. Add chopped apples to your oatmeal along with some canned pumpkin and you’ll have a delicious morning treat that’s super healthy for you too!
- Spiced nuts. This time of year they sell nuts with spices. Give them a try when you have your mid afternoon snack!
I hope this gives you a few ideas of some fall treats to try at home! If you have some healthy and nutritious fall recipes, let me know and I’ll share them!
See you in class soon!
Trackback from your site.