MMB – What to Do With This “In-between week?”
I hope you have been thoroughly enjoying your holidays and have made amazing memories with family and friends! How did you handle all of the temptations? Did you indulge a little or a lot? Did you keep your work outs going or did they fizzle out? I have a funny poem I want to share with you that my mother-in-law forwarded to me. I think we can all relate to this!
“Twas the month after Christmas and all through the house nothing would fit me, not even a blouse
The cookies I’d nibbled (thanks MD!), the eggnog I’d taste.
All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales, there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber)
I’d remember the marvelous meals I’d prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I’d never said, “No thank you, please.”
As I dressed myself in my husband’s old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt—
I said to myself, as only I can
“You can’t spend a winter disguised as a man!”
So—away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
Til all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won’t have a cookie—not even a lick.
I’ll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won’t have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I’ll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I’m hungry, I’m lonesome, and life is a bore—
But isn’t that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!
Announcements and Reminders:
1) Cardio Core is Tonight at Jen’s Studio! Classes are 5:45pm to 6:30pm & 6:40pm to 7:25pm. Please text or e-mail me to sign up!
2) Park Fitness is Thursday at 8:30am! Come out and join us for this fun and effective morning class! Please text or e-mail me to sign up!
3) Cardio Fusion is Thursday at VBC! Class times are 5:45pm to 6:30 pm & 6:40pm to 7:25pm. Classes run based on numbers in attendance. Need 3 to run a class!
4) Boot Camp is Saturday at 7:30am at VBC!
5) 6-Week Winter Fitness Challenge is starting Saturday, January 18th at 7:30am! Mark your calendars and get ready for a shake-up!
Thought for the week: What to do with this “In-between week?”
It’s that time of year again – the in-between week of Christmas and New Year’s. It’s the realization that Christmas is now over and our focus shifts to preparing for the New Year. We are still on break, but we all know routine and our usual work schedule is right around the corner. So, it’s time to pack away Christmas and dust and clean. Organize those new gifts and then purge and give away those items that have seen better days. I hope you find time to pause and reflect on 2019. What was great about it and where did you thrive and excel? Where did you get hung up and feel stagnant and stuck? What are the important take-aways we can hold onto and learn from the past? Reflection is so important, because without it, we are destined to repeat the same patterns and behaviors that tripped us up in the first place!
So, how can you make this week productive and prepare yourself mentally and physically for 2020? Here are some “Jen” thoughts I’d like to share:
1) Clean the fridge. If you have holiday leftovers in the fridge, get them out. Take the temptation away so that every time you open the fridge, your eyes aren’t met with mashed potatoes and gravy or Brie and fancy cold cuts. They served their purpose but now the purpose is gone!
2) Clean the pantry. You know all of those yummy, crunchy, carb and fat laden treats you serve during the holidays? Out they go! DO NOT leave them in the pantry. Take them to the office or better yet, throw them away. When you are going through January detox, you don’t want to be tempted every time you open the pantry door. It’s not worth it.
3) Oh, but those sweet treats! Christmas cookies….sigh…these are tough to part with, but we must! So, if you haven’t by now, please do yourself a favor and either give the rest of them away, throw them out, or freeze them for a treat later in March. Caution: Only freeze them if you have the willpower to leave them there for a while. If it’s too much of a temptation, then don’t!
4) Replacements! Now that you’ve taken out the “holiday” foods, you need to add in the nutrient dense foods to start retraining your taste buds! Go to the store and load up on veggies, greens, smart carbs, fresh berries, Kombucha, cold pressed green juice, lentils, beans, sprouted seeds from GO Raw company, and fermented foods. Grab those boxes of green tea and herbal detox teas from Traditional Medicinals.
Note: I’ll be talking much more about detoxing going forward, but for now, start buying up these types of foods!
That should make for a good start this week! Let me know how you do! You can do this!
See you soon!